I spend a lot of time obsessing about what to do with my life and whining about other bourgeois problems common to over-educated white people with no real problems to fret about. So, I thought I’d take a minute to post a few miracles that I’m thankful for.
1) The train brought me home today on time and unharmed, just as it has done roughly 700 times in the past three years.
2) When I turn on the faucet, clean water comes out. (I often wonder how it got here, what kind of massive pump is required to push it all the way up to my sink or shower, and where it goes when it disappears down the drain. Indoor plumbing is truly a modern marvel.)
3) Someone made dinner for me tonight and it was ready the minute I walked in the door.
4) Everyone (and every pet) I love is healthy.
5) I have a job.
6) I don’t dread going to work every day.
7) If I lost my job, I’d be ok.
8) There’s a huge tree outside my living room windows. It blocks the sun in the summer, lets in the sun in the winter, and makes me feel like I live in a treehouse.
9) My parents know that I’m gay and they love me anyway. They even love my boyfriend.
10) My upper wisdom teeth continue to honor the agreement I made with them as a teenager—they leave me alone, I leave them alone. I keep waiting for them to burst through my gums like some alien spawn ripping through Sigourney Weaver’s sternum, but so far, so good.
Does anyone know if there’s a site out there that lets people maintain a list of things they’re grateful for and share them with others? I know just asking this question could cause the National Cynicism Association to revoke my membership card. Or perhaps there’s some kind of facebook application available? If not, would anyone actually want to read stuff that other people are thankful for? Or do sites like this only succeed when they’re based on horrible secrets and schadenfreude?